ART 11/16- 11/19: Mandala Design
We will discuss the following:
- How to create a mandala design
TAKE NOTES during class discussions. You will submit notes for credit each week. If you are absent, you must watch the Zoom video to get the notes.
If you were absent to any of the meetings this week, go to Google Classroom, where the recorded meetings have been posted under Classwork>Recorded Zoom Meetings.
- We will practice creating stars and curved designs in class today. Watch the tutorials below for help.
- Patterns can be made by doing the following
- Creating concentric shapes
- Alternating elements
- Rotating elements
- Using value (shading)
- Creating texture through line and shape
- Varying your line thickness
- Using the half-step pattern technique
Mandala examples from past students
Steps to making a mandala by hand
Step Three: Creating intricate Designs:
Your mandala should be complex and interesting to look at. Create interesting designs that are made of multiple shapes. Simple shapes are okay to use as small accents, but they shouldn’t be the dominating element. Watch these videos to help you get started creating more interesting shapes and patterns.
Creating a Star
Creating a Curved Design
Creating Vine Designs
Watch this video that discusses how to create patterns for mandalas:
- Work on creating intricate desings on your mandala. If your first design attempt is too simple, make a second one, and the first will count as extra credit.
- Create 10 pattern ideas. Turn them into Google Classroom. past due!
- Finish creating your circle with 16- 24 divisions and at least two inner circles. Watch the videos linked below for help. past due!
How to create a circle
How to divide a circle into equal parts
How to create a circular grid