- Share poems similar to Whitman’s “Song of Myself”
- Binders are due on Monday, see checklist
- Read Exccerpts from Walt Whitman’s “Song of Myself”
- Create a toasttt-chart for “Song of Myself”
- WRITING: Write a poem similar to “Song of Myself” celebrating how amazing you are.
WRITING: Create a toasttt-chart to analyze the following poem :
O Me! O Life!
O Me! O life! of the questions of these recurring, Of the endless trains of the faithless, of cities fill’d with the foolish, Of myself forever reproaching myself, (for who more foolish than I, and who more faithless?) Of eyes that vainly crave the light, of the objects mean, of the struggle ever renew’d, Of the poor results of all, of the plodding and sordid crowds I see around me, Of the empty and useless years of the rest, with the rest me intertwined, The question, O me! so sad, recurring—What good amid these, O me, O life? Answer. That you are here—that life exists and identity, That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse. HOMEWORK
- WRITING: Write a poem similar to O Me! O Life! Where a question is posed and then answered. Include literary devices.
- WRITING: Create a toasttt-chart to analyze the following poem :
A Noiseless Patient Spider
BY WALT WHITMAN
A noiseless patient spider,
I mark’d where on a little promontory it stood isolated,
Mark’d how to explore the vacant vast surrounding,
It launch’d forth filament, filament, filament, out of itself,
Ever unreeling them, ever tirelessly speeding them.
And you O my soul where you stand,
Surrounded, detached, in measureless oceans of space,
Ceaselessly musing, venturing, throwing, seeking the spheres to connect them,
Till the bridge you will need be form’d, till the ductile anchor hold,
Till the gossamer thread you fling catch somewhere, O my soul.
- Notes & Read: Walt Whitman on page 530
- Create a toasttt-chart for “I Hear America Singing” on page 532